JOB TITLE: GIS Analyst IV
LOCATION: Tulsa, Oklahoma
SUPERVISOR: Data Acquisition Manager
The GIS Analyst IV is responsible for researching data availability (i.e., demographic, traffic, point data, GIS shape data, etc.), acquiring the data from third parties, processing the data into the required format for use in planning studies and special projects using GIS software. Develops and maintains relationships with third party vendors that provide data. Estimates costs for acquiring and processing the data as needed by Sales.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Research demand and vehicle traffic count data availability from original source, third party vendors and Open Data sources to determine which is the most suitable and cost effective source for use in planning model databases and special projects.
- Process demographic data using GIS software into required specifications for company’s planning software and as specified for special projects.
- Process other GIS data (boundary data, road data, boundary files, etc) as required for use in planning models and special projects.
- Maintain relationships with third party vendors that can provide the necessary data (i.e., demographics, traffic, GIS shapes).
- Provide costs to sales, as needed, for acquiring and processing demographic data, traffic data and other GIS data as needed.
- Using established procedures, build vehicle traffic count projection models which requires compiling key factors (i.e., number of through lanes, number of vehicles, etc.) surrounding each location requiring a traffic count, generating an AADT traffic count projection for each and running programs to push the resulting traffic count projection back to the map for display within the planning software.
- Research data, GIS software and processes to determine potential usefulness to our products and applications, as directed.
- Maintain a current knowledge of GIS software and practices through research, education and other available resources.
- Assist other groups by providing GIS and data related advice, technical knowledge and education.
- Manage GIS-related special projects as needed.
- Work with Sales and Strategy Group as needed to develop and deliver custom GIS based solutions to meet client’s needs. Includes, but not limited to, mapping databases, utility programs and procedures.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to perform this job successfully.
- Strong analytical capabilities (synthesizing data, drawing conclusions from data, etc.).
- Experience in one or more fields – location analysis, transportation, demographic analysis, land resources, land planning is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in Geography, Geosciences, Geomatics, Environmental Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Urban & Regional Planning or related field required.
- 7+ years of GIS software experience is required. MapInfo, ArcGIS or QGIS experience preferred.
- 2+ years of statistics experience is preferred.
- Experience in researching and processing international data in GIS is a plus.
- Experience writing GIS programs is required. Experience with Python or MapBasic preferred.
- Able to act and adapt to a fast paced business environment with competing deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary teams to ensure project deadlines and requirements are met.
- High proficiency in communication, written, oral and cartographic skills with the ability to convey GIS spatial information to vendors, clients and co-workers.
- Candidate must pay attention to detail and take ownership of their work production.
- Candidate must be self-directed, highly motivated with a strong bias for action.
- Must be flexible to work overtime and weekends, as necessary, to meet project goals.
Tight timelines may require overtime during peak periods. Flexibility in work hours necessary due to project work and client schedules/deadlines. Must work at PC for lengthy periods of time.
- Initiate and maintain communication links to improve project success and increase profitability.
- Ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Ensure quality standards are achieved resulting in client satisfaction.